Benefits at UGA
On this site, you can review a variety of "health and welfare" plus other benefits offered to you as a result of your employment at UGA! View summaries and detailed information about the various insurance plans offered by the University of Georgia, allowing you to select options best suited for your needs and those of your eligible dependents. Choose from the list at left to learn more.
New hires are encouraged to attend one of the benefits overview sessions, held twice a month, prior to making benefits choices.
If you wish to enroll in University System benefits, you must do so within 31 days of your employment date using the MyBenefits enrollment system (see below for guides to the MyBenefits System). If you do not enroll during this period, some plans require that you wait until the annual open enrollment period, unless you experience an IRS-approved life event change.
- New employees should get the MyBenefits@UGA guide for new employees and follow the instructions to enroll.
- Current employees who wish to make coverage changes due to life events should print the MyBenefits@UGA Change Guide and follow the instructions.
New-hire benefit coverage start dates:
Benefits coverage begins the first day of the month following the date the employee enrolls using the MyBenefits system. However, if an employee's hire/start date is the first day of the month and the employee enrolls on or before his/her hire date, coverage will begin on the hire date.
Newly-hired ACADEMIC CONTRACT FACULTY ONLY: Benefits coverage will begin on the first day of the contract IF the faculty member enrolls on or before the contract date. If the contract faculty member enrolls after his/her contract start date, benefits will start on the first day of the month following enrollment.
- Employees who work a minimum of 75% time in one or more "regular" positions are eligible for all health and welfare benefits listed below.
- Employees who work at least 50% but less than 75% time in one or more "regular" positions are eligible for retirement and leave benefits.
- Employees who work in "temporary" positions (any % time) are not eligible for health and welfare benefits or leave accrual.
Health & welfare benefits:
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Dental insurance
- Accidental death & dismemberment insurance
- Short-term disability insurance
- Long-term disability insurance
- Accident insurance
- Critical illness insurance
- Cancer insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- Health savings accounts (high deductible health plan participants only)
- Leave accrual
Other benefits and services:
- Shared Leave program
- UGA-affiliated child care
- Services for domestic partners
- Discounts for UGA employees
- Benefits overview sessions for new faculty and staff
- Benefits "snapshot" for prospective faculty and staff
- General UGA services and activities
- Employee liability insurance